Use my tips and tricks for making perfectly crispy frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer every time! The perfect snack or vegetable side dish! They're ready in under 20 minutes.
There are a few tricks and tips to making the perfect batch of crispy air fryer sweet potato fries. An air fryer can:
- easily overcook sweet potato fries or
- undercook them if overcrowded.
Use my tips and tricks to get a basketful of lightly seasoned, crispy sweet potato fries every time! They make a great healthy snack or snappy side dish for hamburgers.
Try this recipe for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges if you want to make sweet potato wedges instead of fries!
This recipe is super simple! You just need your preferred brand of frozen sweet potato fries, vegetable oil or olive oil in an oil spray bottle, and some salt and pepper.
You can also adjust and try out new seasonings with these sweet potato fries, they're impossible to get wrong!
See the recipe card for precise quantities and instructions.
📖 How to Make Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
While the air fryer preheats, lightly spray the sweet potato fries (still frozen, no need to thaw) with the oil sprayer and lightly season with salt and pepper.
Place the frozen fries in the air fryer in a rough single layer, there should be some space for the hot air to circulate around the fries.
Air fry the sweet potato fries for 10 minutes at 380 °F (190 °C) then flip and air fry for a further 4 - 7 minutes until the fries are crispy and slightly browned at the ends.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauces!
Hint: Cooking times for frozen sweet potato fries will vary depending on the thickness and brand of the fries used. You can easily test for doneness by eating one fry once the fries are slightly browned and crispy and testing.
Air fry frozen sweet potato fries for 10 minutes at 380 °F (190 °C) then flip and air fry for a further 4 - 7 minutes until browned and crispy.
Air fry the frozen sweet potato fries at 380 °F (190 °C) for a total of 17 minutes.
Yes! These air fried sweet potato fries are much healthier compared to them being deep fried.
Here are some suggestions for substitutions based on what you have in your pantry:
- Different oils to use - you can use canola oil, avocado oil, and olive oil for this recipe. They will all work well in this recipe in the air fryer. You can also omit the oil entirely, just make sure the fries are spaced out well or they will stick together.
- Different types of frozen fries - I used normal frozen sweet potato fries for this recipe. They had a light batter on the outside as well. You can also use skinny sweet potato fries fries, crinkle-cut sweet potato fries, thick-cut, or steakhouse cut fries. They will all come out nicely, you will just have to adjust the air frying time depending on the thickness of your fries. If using thicker cut fries, cook for closer to 20 minutes total.
- Seasonings - salt and pepper are great seasonings to start with for this recipe. If you want to try some new seasonings, try Italian seasoning, cumin, paprika, and coriander. They're delicious seasonings that will work well for this recipe!
- Vegan and Vegetarian - Most frozen sweet potato fries are already vegetarian friendly. You should just check that if the fries are battered or not, and then whether the ingredients for the batter are vegan-friendly.
If you want to make this recipe your own or spice it up after making it a few times, here are some variation ideas for how to make frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer even better!
- Make it spicy! - Season the sweet potato fries with a spicy seasoning or a dash of cayenne pepper or chili powder for spicy fries.
- Cheesy Chips - After air frying, sprinkle some shredded cheddar or gouda cheese over the fries and place them back in the warm air fryer. Leave for 3 minutes and serve your cheesy fries!
If you want to make frozen French fries in the air fryer, then check out my post on How to Make Perfect Frozen French Fries in the Air Fryer!
This recipe has been developed and tested using a Cosori Max XL Large Cooker. It has a capacity of 5.8 quarts.
I love making quick lunch and dinner recipes in the air fryer - it uses so little oil and all the food comes out crispy and delicious every time! Cleaning up is a breeze, and I can stick it in the dishwasher too!
🥣 Storage and Making Ahead
I would recommend making just enough sweet potato fries at a time that you need. It also makes sure you don't over-crowd the air fryer basket and undercook your fries!
However, you can store any leftover fries you may have in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the air fryer for a quick, easy snack!
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
❗️ Top tips
- Spraying with oil: Spraying oil on the fries is optional but helps them stick together less when making larger batches of fries, it also makes them slightly crispier too.
- Overcrowding the air fryer: Overcrowding your air fryer basket makes the food take longer to air fry and the food generally comes out less crispy. Rather make two batches if you need to make a lot at a time.
- Shaking: Shaking the fries halfway through cooking ensures they cook and crisp up evenly.
- Prevent overcooking: After flipping the fries, check on them every couple of minutes to ensure they don't overcook or burn.
- Cooling: Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving, they come out of the air fryer very hot!
Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer or Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid
- 1 Package Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- Oil Sprayer* optional
- Salt and pepper optional
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 °F (190 °C) for 5 minutes.
- While the air fryer preheats, lightly spray the sweet potato fries (still frozen, no need to thaw) with the oil sprayer and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the frozen fries in the air fryer in a rough single layer, there should be some space for the hot air to circulate around the fries.
- Air fry the sweet potato fries for 10 minutes at 380 °F (190 °C) then flip and air fry for a further 4 - 7 minutes until the fries are crispy and slightly browned at the ends.
- Serve the sweet potato fries with ketchup, mayonnaise, or your favorite dipping sauce. Or you can serve it as a side to a main dish, like with hamburgers. You can also eat them all on their own as a quick snack!
🍳 Related Recipes
- How to Make Frozen French Fries in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Frozen Egg Rolls in Air Fryer