Making air fryer corn on the cob in foil is the best way to make corn ever! Perfectly cooked ears of sweet, crunchy, and buttery corn every time!
I LOVE this recipe because:
- buttered corn with some salt and pepper is the best,
- using the foil means fewer dishes,
- it's just 20 minutes to make!
Use foil to air fry your corn cobs to make the corn have a similar texture to boiled corn. However, I find the air fryer makes the corn more crunchy while still soft on the inside and perfectly cooked.
Pair this sweet and crunchy corn with salted butter and seasonings and you have a match made in heaven! Serve as a side dish to a larger meal or eat them out of the foil as a tasty snack, as I do!
l love making quick and healthy vegetable sides for lunch or dinner! Try my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Skin for a healthy, fuss-free mashed potato recipe. For an even simpler side recipe, check out my guide on How to Make Frozen French Fries in the Air Fryer as well as my Air Fryer Greek Potatoes recipe!
This recipe is very simple. You just need 4 corn on the cobs, butter, and some salt and pepper. You'll also need sheets of foil, mine measured 10 inches by 14 inches (25 cm x 35 cm).
You can also try out new seasonings with this air fryer corn on the cob recipe, see my variation suggestions below for some ideas!
To make this recipe for air fryer corn on the cob in foil, you'll need:
- Corn on the cobs (my air fryer fits 4 in at one time, make as many as you see fit but don't overcrowd the air fryer basket!)
- Salted butter
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Sheets of aluminum foil (I cut my foil smaller so I could fold it around my corn cobs and fit them into the air fryer more easily)
See the recipe card for precise quantities and instructions.
It takes only 3-5 minutes to prepare and wrap the corn cobs for cooking, then they get cooked in the air fryer for another 15 minutes. Perfectly cooked corn ready in 20 minutes!
Step 1: Place a corn cob on a sheet of aluminum foil, top with a pat of butter, and season with salt and pepper. Wrap the foil tightly around the corn cob and twist the ends closed.
Step 2: Place the corn cobs in the air fryer, butter side up. Air fry the corn cobs for 10 minutes at 400 °F (200°C) and then flip them. Flip them with tongs or by grabbing the foil ends of the corn cobs as they will be cooler.
Step 3: Air fry for another 5 minutes at 400 °F (200°C). Once the air fryer is done, leave the corn cobs in the air fryer for 5 minutes to cook a little more and cool slightly.
Step 4: Remove from the air fryer, open the foil carefully and serve with more butter and seasonings!
Hint: Make sure your foil pieces are large enough to cover the corn cobs all over with a large seam too. Once you rotate the corn cobs, the melted butter could leak out if there isn't enough foil covering the corn. It's not the end of the world but it does make one more dish to clean!
15 minutes total cooking time. Air fry your corn on the cobs in foil at 400 °F (200 °C) for 10 minutes and then flip them. Cook for another 5 minutes and then allow the corn on the cobs to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Air frying cooking times vary and depend on several factors such as your location, altitude, and air fryer make and model, among others.
400 °F (200 °C) is the best temperature for corn in foil in the air fryer. It's a high temperature which cooks the corn quickly in the foil, giving it the same taste and texture as boiled corn with less fuss!
Yes, you can use aluminum foil in your air fryer. It should be weighed down with food while cooking so it doesn't fly around but otherwise foil is safe for use in the air fryer.
Unfortunately no, corn on the cob will not pop if cooked in an air fryer, even if cooked in foil. The conditions aren't right for popcorn to be made but the cooked corn will be delicious in any case!
Here are some suggestions for substitutions based on what you have in your pantry:
- Corn types - you can use white corn, yellow corn (sweet corn), or flint corn for this recipe. Flint corn is multicolored and rich in flavor.
- Vegan - to make this recipe vegan, simply use vegan butter in equal amounts.
- Without Foil - you can also make this recipe without foil if needed. Just place the corn cobs in the air fryer brushed with butter and sprinkled with seasonings. Then air fry for 12 minutes at 400 °F (200 °C), turning halfway through the cooking time.
Corn is such a versatile ingredient that can be seasoned and flavored in many different ways! If you want to make this recipe your own or spice it up after making it a few times, here are some variation ideas!
- Seasoned and flavored butter - I love using garlic herb butter for this recipe which instantly adds some flavor and richness! Use any flavored butter you like for this recipe!
- Spicy corn! - Sprinkle the corn cobs with chili powder, cayenne pepper, or any spicy seasonings you like to make these air fryer corn cobs spicy too!
- Kid-friendly - Pierce the top of the corn with a fork and use a knife to shear off all the cooked corn kernels. Then mix the melted butter through and taste and adjust the seasonings. This makes the corn easier to eat for younger ones!
Seasoning variations - there are so many spices, herbs, and other seasonings to use for this recipe! Here are some of our favorites you can try out:
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Cajun seasoning
- Taco seasoning
- Lemon or lime juice
- Parmesan cheese (sprinkled on after cooking!)
This recipe has been developed and tested using a Cosori Max XL Large Cooker. It has a capacity of 5.8 quarts.
I love making quick lunch and dinner recipes in the air fryer - it uses so little oil and all the food comes out crispy and delicious every time! Cleaning up is a breeze, and I can stick it in the dishwasher too! Although, I love this recipe as the foil keeps the air fryer clean so no dishwashing is required!
Store any leftover corn on the cobs in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can store them in the foil or without the foil. Reheat in the oven for a few minutes at 380 °F (180 °C) or microwave them. Don't use foil in the microwave!
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
❗️ Top tip
Make sure to be patient and let the corn on the cobs cool for 5 minutes after air frying. They will be too hot to handle or eat and the extra time helps the butter melt all over the corn too!
Air Fryer Corn on the Cob in Foil
- 4 corn cobs green leaves removed and rinsed under cold water
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 sheets aluminum foil
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 °F (200 °C) for 5 minutes while preparing the corn cobs.
- Place a corn cob on a sheet of aluminum foil, top with a pat of butter and season with salt and pepper. Wrap the foil tightly around the corn cob and twist the ends closed.4 corn cobs, 4 Tbsp. salted butter, 2 tsp. sea salt, 2 tsp. black pepper, 4 sheets aluminum foil
- Place the corn cobs in the air fryer, butter side up. Air fry the corn cobs for 10 minutes at 400 °F (200°C) and then flip them. Flip them with tongs or by grabbing the foil ends of the corn cobs that will be cooler.
- Air fry for another 5 minutes at 400 °F (200°C). Once the air fryer is done, leave the corn cobs in the air fryer for 5 minutes to cook a little more and cool slightly.
- Remove, open the foil carefully and serve with more butter and seasonings!
This recipe was tested with these air fryers: