Crispy on the outside and soft inside, these air fryer sweet potato cubes are a healthier twist on traditional fries. Get snacking with this easy, mouthwatering recipe!
Sweet potatoes are a nutrient-dense food packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. When air-fried, sweet potato cubes become crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, creating a satisfying and flavorful bite, good for a quick snack or healthy side dish.
A root vegetable that is rich in nutrients and health benefits, they're a great addition to any meal (see meal prep tips below!).
If you have more sweet potatoes lying around, why not try my other recipes like my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges? If you have frozen sweet potato fries on hand, check out how to make crispy Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries here!
All you need for this simple recipe is cubed sweet potatoes, oil and your seasonings!
To make air fryer sweet potato cubes, you'll need:
- Sweet potatoes, white or orange variety
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
See the recipe card for precise quantities and instructions.
It's as simple as mixing your sweet potato cubes with your seasonings and air frying! Check out our step by step instructions below to see how to make this recipe.
In a large bowl, add sweet potato cubes together with olive oil and seasonings.
Toss to coat well, ensuring the seasonings and oil are evenly coating the cubes.
Place the sweet potato cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 400°F (200°C).
Cook the sweet potato cubes for 12-15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking.
Hint: Depending on your air fryer capacity, you may need to cook the cubes in batches.
Depending on the way you prepare your sweet potato before air frying, the time can vary. Cutting the potato into cubes makes it quicker to cook than leaving it whole. Cubed, sweet potatoes take about 15 minutes to cook in the air fryer.
I air fried my sweet potato cubes at 400°F (200°C). This high temperature cooks them quickly and crisps them up well.
It's easy to make sweet potatoes crispy in the air fryer. Toss them every 5 minutes while cooking and also cook at a high enough temperature. Additionally, you can soak the potato cubes before cooking them in some cold water. Or you can also add some cornstarch to the seasonings for some added crispiness.
Use what you have available in your pantry as substitutions for this recipe. Here are some suggestions:
- Oils - You can use avocado oil, sunflower oil or grapeseed oil. They have high enough smoke points to be used in in an air fryer for this recipe.
- Orange or white sweet potatoes - Either orange sweet potatoes or the white variety will work for this recipe.
- Herbs and Spices - Really go wild with your seasonings! Sweet potatoes are great vegetables for adding lots of herbs and spices. Try your own variations and what works for you!
There are many variations to this recipe to suit any palate. Whether you like it spicy or sweet, here are some variation ideas for you to try out!
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or cayenne pepper powder to the potato cube seasonings for a spicy kick! You could also serve the cubes with a hot pepper sauce.
- Sweet - A tablespoon or two of honey or brown sugar can add a delicious sweetness to the sweet potatoes.
Check out my super easy recipe for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges, if that what's you feel like today!
⏲ Equipment and Oven Directions
Air Fryer: This recipe has been made and tested using a Cosori Max XL Large Cooker. It has a capacity of 5.8 quarts which is quite large. You can use any air fryer for this recipe, but all air fryers are different so adjust cooking times accordingly.
Oven Directions: To make this recipe in your oven, follow the steps as described. Preheat your oven to 400 °F (200 °C) and bake the sweet potato cubes on a baking tray for 25 - 30 minutes until golden and crunchy.
Oven Thermometer: Another piece of equipment I find useful for air fryer cooking is an oven thermometer. It can be placed inside the air fryer and measure the temperature very accurately. You can also use it in your test batch as mentioned to make sure the temperature is perfect for this recipe.
Air fryer temperatures vary a little between air fryer models so a thermometer is the best way to make sure your air fryer is the correct temperature for each recipe.
🍲 How to use sweet potato cubes for meal prep?
Cooked sweet potato cubes can be used in a variety of meal prep recipes, from salads to soups to stir-fries. They are a versatile and nutritious ingredient that can help make meal prep quick and easy. Here are some ideas on how to use cooked sweet potato cubes for meal prep:
- Sweet potato and black bean salad: Toss cooked sweet potato cubes with black beans, diced bell peppers, red onions, and your favorite vinaigrette. Store in individual containers for a healthy and delicious lunch option.
- Sweet potato and quinoa bowl: Combine cooked sweet potato cubes with cooked quinoa, spinach, and sliced almonds. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, and store in individual containers for a nutritious and satisfying meal.
- Sweet potato and egg breakfast: Reheat cooked sweet potato cubes in the microwave or on the stovetop, and top with scrambled eggs and avocado.
- Sweet potato and lentil soup: Combine cooked sweet potato cubes with cooked lentils and vegetable broth. Add your favorite herbs and spices, and store in individual containers for a healthy and comforting lunch option.
- Sweet potato and chicken stir-fry: Sauté cooked sweet potato cubes with sliced chicken breast and your choice of vegetables (such as broccoli, bell peppers, and onions). Add your favorite stir-fry sauce and enjoy!
🍶 Storage and Reheating
Cooked sweet potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. It is important to store them properly to ensure freshness and prevent bacterial growth.
Here are some tips for storing cooked sweet potatoes:
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool completely before storing them. This prevents condensation from forming, which can lead to bacterial growth.
- Store the sweet potatoes in an airtight container. Make sure the lid is securely fastened to prevent air from entering.
- Label the container with the date you cooked the sweet potatoes. This will help you keep track of how long they have been in the refrigerator.
- Place the container in the refrigerator. Keep it away from any raw meat or other potentially contaminated foods.
- Reheat the sweet potatoes thoroughly before eating them. You can reheat them in the microwave, oven, or on the stovetop.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
👨🏻🍳 Top tips
- Don't overcrowd air fryer - Overcrowding the air fryer basket means the cubes won't crisp up well. Rather air fry the cubes in batches for best results.
- Evenly sized cubes - Cut the sweet potatoes into relatively similar sizes to ensure even cooking and crisping in the air fryer.
- Snack time! - Serve these sweet potato cubes as a delicious speedy snack with a dipping sauce like ranch or hot sauce!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes Recipe
- 2 Medium Sweet potatoes, Orange or white variety, cubed peeled if desired
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, Add sweet potato cubes together with olive oil and seasonings and toss to coat.2 Medium Sweet potatoes, Orange or white variety, cubed, 1 Tbsp. Olive oil, 2 tsp. Paprika, 1 tsp. Garlic powder, 1 tsp. Ground cumin, 1 tsp. Sea salt, ½ tsp. Black pepper
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook the sweet potato cubes for 12-15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. Depending on your air fryer capacity, you may need to cook the cubes in batches.
- Once the sweet potato cubes are crispy and golden brown, remove them from the air fryer and serve immediately.
This recipe was tested with these air fryers: