Cooking frozen pizza in an air fryer is a quick and easy way to enjoy a delicious meal anytime. All you need is an air fryer, a frozen pizza of your choice, and any optional toppings or seasonings you like. Follow this recipe to air fry frozen pizza to perfection every time!
If you love pizza but don't have time to make your own dough or order delivery, you'll probably be tempted to grab a frozen pizza from the freezer aisle. But what is the best way to cook it so that it comes out crispy and delicious, not soggy or overcooked?
One of the best ways to cook frozen pizza is in an air fryer. An air fryer is a countertop appliance that uses hot air circulation to cook food quickly and evenly. It also helps to crisp up the crust and melt the cheese without burning or drying out the pizza.
I will show you how to make frozen pizza in the air fryer in this recipe with some simple tips and tricks. You will be amazed by how easy and tasty it is!
What you need to make frozen pizzas in the air fryer:
- An air fryer
- A frozen pizza of your choice, mini or a large pizza cut into slices
- Optional: extra toppings, seasonings, olive oil spray
See the recipe card for quantities.
You can pop the frozen pizza straight into the air fryer and begin cooking them or add some of your preferred seasonings or toppings (chopped small) to make the pizza your own!
Unwrap your frozen pizza from the packaging and remove any plastic film or cardboard.
Place your frozen pizza in the air fryer basket. If it doesn't fit, you can cut it into smaller pieces.
Cook your frozen pizza for 6 to 15 minutes, depending on its size and thickness. Check it halfway through and rotate it if needed for even browning.
Remove your frozen pizza from the air fryer when it is hot and cheese has melted. Enjoy!
Hint: You can customize your pizzas according to your preferences by adjusting the temperature, time, size, shape, toppings, etc. Any type of frozen pizza will work in the air fryer, but I find that thinner crust versions work better than the thicker crust pizzas.
You can reheat leftover pizza in an air fryer at 350°F for 3 to 5 minutes until warm. Don't use a higher temperature or air fry for too long otherwise the pizza could burn or dry out.
There are many benefits of cooking frozen pizza in an air fryer compared to other methods such as oven baking or microwaving:
- Saves Time: As you don't have to preheat an oven or wait for delivery.
- Saves Energy: As you don't have to use a large oven that consumes more electricity.
- Healthier Pizzas: It makes healthier pizzas as you don't have to use any oil or grease that adds extra calories and fat.
🥘 Cooking Times for Different Frozen Pizzas
The type of frozen pizza you choose will affect how long and at what temperature you need to cook it in an air fryer. Here are some general guidelines based on common types of frozen pizzas:
Thin Crust Pizza: These pizzas have a thin layer of dough that cooks quickly and crisps up easily in an air fryer. They usually take about 6 to 8 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
Thick Crust Pizza: These pizzas have a thicker layer of dough that takes longer to cook through and brown evenly in an air fryer. They usually take about 10 to 15 minutes at 380°F (190°C). I recommend thinner crust pizzas for the air fryer as the thicker pizzas can start to burn on the outside before the inside is cooked properly.
Gluten-Free Pizza: These pizzas have a special dough made without wheat flour that may be softer or denser than regular dough depending on their ingredients. They usually take about 8 to 12 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
Cheese Pizza: These pizzas have only cheese as their topping which melts quickly and evenly in an air fryer without burning or dripping off too much oil. They usually take about 6 to 10 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
Meat Lovers Pizza: These pizzas have various types of meat as their toppings which may release more grease or moisture during cooking which can affect your crust texture or flavor if not drained properly before placing them in an air fryer basket. They usually take about 8 to 12 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
Air Fryer: This recipe has been made and tested using a Cosori Max XL Large Cooker. It has a capacity of 5.8 quarts which is quite large. You can use any air fryer for this recipe, but all air fryers are different so adjust cooking times accordingly.
Oven Thermometer: Another piece of equipment I find useful for air fryer cooking is an oven thermometer. It can be placed inside the air fryer and measure the temperature very accurately. You can also use it in your test batch as mentioned to make sure the temperature is perfect for this recipe.
Air fryer temperatures vary a little between air fryer models so use a thermometer to make sure your air fryer is the correct temperature for each recipe.
Don't refreeze any leftover pizzas after they have been cooked and cooled. Rather make the amount you need, store any leftovers in the refrigerator, and eat within 1 day. Store in an airtight container for best taste.
👨🏻🍳 Top tips
- For best results, use thin-crust or regular-crust pizzas rather than deep-dish or stuffed-crust pizzas as they may not cook well in an air fryer.
- Before you take off the wrapper, use a knife to poke some holes through the bottom of the frozen pizza. This will help release any steam that might make your crust soggy.
- Add some extra toppings if you want, such as more cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, etc. Just make sure they are sliced small and not too wet or heavy as they might weigh down your crust or cause uneven cooking.
- Sprinkle some seasonings on top of your cheese before cooking, such as garlic powder, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, etc. This will add more flavor and aroma to your pizza.
How to Air Fry Frozen Pizza
- Frozen Pizza of choice you can use thin crust, thick crust, mini pizzas etc
- Any toppings or seasonings you like chopped small
- Unwrap your frozen pizza from the packaging and remove any plastic film or cardboard. If you want, you can add some extra toppings or seasonings on top of your pizza for more flavor.Frozen Pizza of choice, Any toppings or seasonings you like
- Place your frozen pizza in the air fryer basket. If it doesn't fit, you can cut it into smaller pieces.
- Cook your frozen pizza for 6 to 15 minutes, depending on its size and thickness. Check it halfway through and rotate it if needed for even browning. The cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer model and how thick or thin your pizza is.
- Remove your frozen pizza from the air fryer when it is hot and cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was tested with these air fryers: