Cooking artichoke hearts in the air fryer is the best way to make this healthy and delicious dish. With just a few simple steps, you can have perfectly cooked, crispy artichoke hearts that are full of flavor and nutrients.
Artichoke hearts are a delicious and healthy ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. They are a rich source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and are used in recipes for their unique flavor and texture.
While there are many ways to prepare artichoke hearts, one of the easiest and most satisfying methods is to cook them in an air fryer. In this post, we'll provide a step-by-step guide to cooking artichoke hearts in the air fryer, along with some tips and tricks for making the perfect dish as well as serving suggestions.
You can also use fresh artichoke hearts for this recipe, make sure to prepare them properly and cook them for a few minutes longer as the canned or jarred artichokes are usually pre-cooked.
Fresh artichokes are usually expensive and can be difficult to prep so I recommend using jarred or canned artichokes to make prep quick and easy!
- Canned artichoke hearts, drained, quickly rinsed and patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Mixed herbs
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese
See the recipe card for quantities and instructions with notes.
Cutting the artichoke hearts in half, seasoning them, and quickly cooking them in the air fryer are all the steps for this recipe - nothing complicated about making this crispy and savory side dish or snack.
After draining and patting fry the artichoke hearts, cut them in half.
Add the artichoke hearts and all the seasonings to a mixing bowl. Gently toss the artichoke hearts until covered with seasoning.
Use your fingers to gently rub more seasonings in-between the folds of the artichoke hearts. This makes them much tastier and crispy too.
Check the artichoke hearts about halfway through cooking, continue air frying until the hearts are browned and starting to crisp.
Place the artichoke hearts in your air fryer basket, in a single layer. Air fry at 375°F for 15 - 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Remove from the air fryer, and serve with a dipping sauce like garlic aioli or ranch dressing.
Hint: I really recommend getting your hands dirty and getting the seasoning mixture well rubbed into the artichoke hearts. It makes them taste much more flavourful and the "leaves" of the artichoke heart become crisper too.
Yes, jarred artichokes are healthy! While some vitamin C is lost during the canning or jarring process, artichokes that are marinated are still good sources of vitamins and minerals as well as fiber.
Yes, rinse off the canned or jarred artichokes and pat dry with a paper towel. Removing the excess moisture also makes them crispier!
Artichokes refer to the entire artichoke, meaning the artichoke heart and the leaves covering it. The artichoke heart is the fleshy, inside of an artichoke that has to be cut out of the artichoke itself by removing the outer leaves.
Here are some substitution suggestions that you can use based on what you have on hand!
- Different Oil - Instead of olive oil, you can also use canola or avocado oil.
- Seasoning combinations - You can really use any flavors you like for this recipe! Try some smoky and spicy artichoke hearts with some added chili flakes and smoked paprika.
- Dairy-free/Vegan - Omit the parmesan entirely to make this recipe dairy-free and vegan-friendly. You can replace it with a vegan alternative as well.
You can easily adjust the flavor of these air fryer artichoke hearts to make this dish your own!
- Spicy - Add some cayenne pepper or red chilli flakes to the seasonings for some added heat. You can also serve the artichoke hearts with a hot pepper sauce for a fiery kick!
- Deluxe - Sprinkle crispy bacon pieces over the artichoke hearts and serve with a cheese dipping sauce for a flavor explosion!
- Kid friendly - add crushed potato chips (ketchup chips!)
Incorporating Artichoke Hearts into Your Meals
Now you know how easy it is to make artichoke hearts in the air fryer, you may be wondering how to incorporate more of them into your meals. Here are a few great ideas to start:
- Add them to a salad: Artichoke hearts make a great addition to a salad. You can toss them with greens, other vegetables, and a dressing of your choice for a healthy and delicious meal.
- Use them as a pizza topping: Artichoke hearts are a tasty and unique pizza topping. You can add them to a homemade pizza with some tomato sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings. I would recommend cutting them a bit smaller for pizza toppings.
- Make a dip: Artichoke hearts make a great base for dips. You can puree them with some garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil for a delicious and healthy dip.
- Use them in pasta dishes: Artichoke hearts can add a burst of flavor to pasta dishes. You can toss them with some pasta, vegetables, and a sauce of your choice for a quick and easy meal.
Air Fryer: This recipe has been made and tested using a Cosori Max XL Large Cooker. It has a capacity of 5.8 quarts which is quite large. You can use any air fryer for this recipe, but all air fryers are different so adjust cooking times accordingly.
Air fryer temperatures vary between air fryer models so I use an oven thermometer to make sure that the air fryer is the correct temperature for each recipe.
🍶 Storing Leftovers
The artichoke hearts are best eaten fresh but if you do have leftovers, allow them to cool completely to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
I don't recommend freezing as a storage method for this recipe.
👨🏻🍳 Top tips
Don't overcrowd the air fryer: Arrange the artichoke hearts in a single layer in the air fryer. If you overcrowd the air fryer, the artichoke hearts may not cook evenly and take longer to cook and become crispy.
Flip the artichoke hearts over halfway through: To ensure that the artichoke hearts cook evenly on both sides, flip them over halfway through the cooking time.
Adjust the cooking time as needed: The cooking time for artichoke hearts in the air fryer will depend on the size of the artichoke hearts and the temperature of your air fryer. Be sure to check on the artichoke hearts periodically as they cook, and adjust the cooking time as needed based on your desired level of doneness.
Serve the artichoke hearts with a dipping sauce: Artichoke hearts are delicious on their own, but they're great with a dipping sauce for added flavor. Some good options include a lemon garlic aioli or ranch dressing.
Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts
- 1 - 2 cans Canned artichoke hearts drained, quickly rinsed and patted dry (I used two cans for this recipe but it also works with one 14 oz. (400g) can)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Mixed herbs
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F for 5 minutes. While it preheats, drain and pat dry the artichoke hearts. Then cut them in half.1 - 2 cans Canned artichoke hearts
- Add the artichoke hearts, all the seasonings and oil to a mixing bowl. Gently toss the artichoke hearts until covered with seasoning. Use your fingers to gently rub more seasonings in-between the folds of the artichoke hearts. This makes them much tastier and crispy too.½ tsp. Salt, ½ tsp. Black pepper, 1 Tbsp. Olive oil, 1 tsp. Mixed herbs, 1 tsp. Garlic powder, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Place the artichoke hearts in your air fryer basket, in a single layer. Air fry at 375°F, flipping halfway through, for 15 - 20 minutes or until they are tender and lightly browned.
- Remove from the air fryer, and serve with a dipping sauce like garlic aioli or ranch dressing.
This recipe was tested with these air fryers: