This Instant Pot fried rice recipe is so easy to make, super tasty, and much healthier than the takeout version! This is the best fried rice recipe ever and it's ready in just 15 minutes!
I LOVE this recipe because:
- only takes 15 minutes to make
- tastes so much better than the takeout version and
- it's healthier too!
For another 15-minute recipe that's perfect for lunch or dinner, why not try my Instant Pot Mac & Cheese recipe! My Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Skin recipe is also a great easy recipe to make in the Instant Pot.
Another healthier homemade recipe you can try is my Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos!
You'll need only 12 ingredients to make this delicious better-than-takeout fried rice, most of which you probably have on hand already! I love making recipes that use pantry staples like this, then if I like the recipe, I can make it as often as I like!
To make Instant Pot fried rice, you'll need:
- Vegetable oil
- White onion
- Garlic cloves
- Frozen peas
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Cooked white rice
- Salt and pepper
- Green onions to garnish
See the recipe card for precise quantities and instructions.
This recipe comes together in 5 minutes and cooks for just another 10 minutes - perfect for a quick lunch or for getting dinner on the table fast!
Press sauté on the Instant Pot and allow it to heat up. When hot, add 1 Tbsp. of the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and carrots and sauté for 4 minutes until the vegetables start to become slightly tender.
Mix in the frozen peas and minced garlic, sauté for 1 minute. Then turn down the Sauté function to the lower setting.
Push the vegetables to one side with a spoon or spatula and add the other ½ Tbsp. vegetable oil to the open side of the Instant Pot.
Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot and stir. Then immediately add the cooked, cooled white rice and mix well. Mix continuously to allow the rice to heat through and become seasoned.
Once the oil has heated slightly, add the lightly beaten eggs. Mix the eggs gently to scramble them, and cook the eggs for 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
Garnish with sliced green onions and serve!
Hint: Make sure to turn down the Instant Pot sauté function to the lowest setting before adding the lightly beaten eggs. Allow the Instant Pot to cool slightly if it's too hot as the eggs will stick to the bottom and be difficult to scramble properly.
🥗 Making Instant Pot Fried Rice with Frozen Vegetables
I used frozen peas for this recipe and they work perfectly! No need to thaw them at all. You can also add frozen corn if you have them in the freezer as well. Add up to 1 cup of frozen vegetables to this meal to make it instantly healthier and bulk it up too!
🍚 How to Make Rice in Pressure Cooker
You can make the rice in your Instant Pot and while it cools, clean out the Instant Pot for the fried rice recipe. To make rice in your Instant Pot, add one cup of white rice and one cup of water to the Instant Pot. Close, seal, and pressure cook on the automatic rice setting. Perfect rice every time!
You can also make the rice in a dutch oven on the stovetop, which is my preferred method as the rice always comes out perfectly cooked for this recipe! To make perfect rice in a Dutch oven, you'll need:
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups cold water
- A pinch of salt and pepper
Add the rice, water, and seasonings to the Dutch oven pot and mix. The water should cover the rice and be halfway up the side of the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, remove the pot from the heat, but don't open the pot to check the rice! Leave the pot for another 15 minutes and then the rice is done! Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
To use the rice in this recipe, allow it to cool completely to room temperature - I put a layer of rice on a plate which cools it faster. Once cool, the rice is ready to be used for your fried rice!
Traditionally, Chinese fried rice is made with white long grain rice. But you can also use many other types of rice: basmati, jasmine, long grain, short grain, and also brown rice work well.
They each influence the flavor in their own way but as long as they are fully cooked and cooled, they will work in this recipe.
Yes! The Instant Pot is perfect for making rice and super quick too! If making white rice, the Instant Pot can have it ready in under 15 minutes. The rice will also be al dente, not too soft and overcooked.
Fried rice is such a delicious meal but it's also quite healthy too! Fried rice is a dish that is full of good fiber, healthy fibre, and protein. It has good amounts of vitamins and minerals too. With some simple swaps, you could make it even healthier! Using brown rice is a great way to add more fiber to this meal.
You can easily substitute some ingredients in this recipe to suit what you already have on hand. In addition to using different types of rice as mentioned above you can make the following substitutions:
- Vegan - you can easily make this recipe vegan by omitting the eggs
- Gluten-free - substitute the soy sauce with gluten-free Tamari, a soy sauce alternative that isn't made using wheat
- Egg-free - leave the eggs out of this recipe and it will still taste amazing! You can also replace the eggs with some scrambled or chopped tofu.
The seasoned rice is a great base you can add flavor to. Here are some ideas for extra flavor to make this Instant Pot fried rice interesting every time you try it!
- What to make a spicy version? - add a pinch of dried red pepper flakes when sautéing the carrots and onions to add some spice to this dish!
- Adding more protein - stir in some chopped cooked chicken or some crispy fried tofu to add a bunch of protein to your fried rice.
- Kid-friendly - I imagine this recipe is pretty kid-friendly already but serve with spoons or a fork instead of chopsticks to make it easier to eat. You can also cut the carrots smaller and omit the peas for picky eaters!
This recipe has been developed and tested using a 6-quart (5.5 L) Instant Pot. I love making quick lunch or dinner recipes in my Instant Pot. Getting a healthy lunch or dinner ready so quickly in one appliance saves the day sometimes!
If you want to make this recipe on the stovetop, then follow these steps:
- Use a large pot or pan and heat it up over medium heat. Add all the vegetables according to the recipe and stir.
- After adding the peas and garlic, turn the heat down to low before adding the eggs.
- After you have added the rice, sesame oil, and soy sauce, turn the heat up to medium again to heat the rice through well.
You can store leftover fried rice in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop on low heat. Stir well and enjoy! It's a perfect side dish for lunch or dinner if you have leftovers.
This dish doesn't stand up well to freezing.
❗️ Helpful tips
- Turn the Instant Pot's Sauté function to the lowest setting before adding the eggs to prevent sticking.
- Cold, cooked rice is needed for this recipe. You can make some rice and cool it beforehand or use leftover rice from the previous day!
- Add chopped cooked chicken or tofu pieces to this recipe for added protein.
- You can easily double this recipe and it will still come out perfectly! Perfect for meal prep for a few days.
Easy Instant Pot Fried Rice
- Instant Pot
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Vegetable oil divided
- 1 Large white onion chopped
- 2 Medium carrots cut into ¼ inch quarters
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- ¾ cup Frozen peas no need to thaw
- 2 large Eggs lightly beaten in a small bowl
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 2 Tsp. Toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp. Sea salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- 3 cups Cooked white rice cooled to room temperature
- Sliced green onions to serve
- Press sauté on the Instant Pot and allow it to heat. When hot, add 1 Tbsp. of the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and carrots and sauté for 4 minutes until vegetables start to become slightly tender.1 ½ Tbsp. Vegetable oil, 1 Large white onion, 2 Medium carrots
- Mix in the frozen peas and minced garlic, sauté for 1 minute. Then turn down the Sauté function to the lower setting.3 cloves Garlic, ¾ cup Frozen peas
- Push the vegetables to one side with a spoon or spatula and add the other ½ Tbsp. vegetable oil to the open side of the Instant Pot.1 ½ Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- Once the oil has heated slightly, add the lightly beaten eggs. Mix the eggs gently to scramble them, cook the eggs for 3-4 minutes until cooked through.2 large Eggs
- Mix the scrambled egg through with the vegetables.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper to the Instant Pot and stir. Then immediately add the cooked, cooled white rice and mix well. Mix continuously to allow the rice to heat through and become seasoned.3 Tbsp. Soy sauce, 2 Tsp. Toasted sesame oil, ½ tsp. Sea salt, ½ tsp. Black pepper, 3 cups Cooked white rice
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve!Sliced green onions to serve