If you are looking for an easy and healthy side dish to serve with your main course, try this Instant Pot asparagus recipe. This recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to cook asparagus quickly and easily without sacrificing flavor.
Looking for a quick and easy way to make delicious asparagus? Look no further than this recipe! It's ready in under 10 minutes and it's low-carb, gluten-free and vegan-friendly. What more could you ask for?
This versatile kitchen appliance can steam asparagus in just a few minutes, creating a perfectly cooked and tender vegetable. Whether you're looking for a healthy side dish or a nutritious addition to your favorite recipes, Instant Pot asparagus is sure to become a staple in your kitchen.
In this post, we'll share a step-by-step guide to cooking asparagus spears in the Instant Pot, along with tips and tricks for getting the best results every time. Let's get cooking!
Just some simple seasonings, oil and fresh asparagus spears are all you need to make this nutritious, crunchy and delicious side dish or snack.
- Fresh asparagus spears
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Garlic cloves
- Lemon juice
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese
See the recipe card for precise quantities and full instructions.
Get ready to add a new favorite side dish to your dinner rotation with this delicious asparagus recipe! In just a few minutes, you can create perfectly cooked and tender asparagus that's packed with flavor in the Instant Pot.
Place the asparagus spears into a mixing bowl along with the oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well to coat the asparagus.
Place the metal trivet (or steam basket if using) into the Instant Pot. Then add 1 cup of water.
Layer the seasoned asparagus onto the trivet and drizzle any seasonings left in the bowl over the top. Pressure cook for 0 - 1 minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus) then quick release the pressure.
Remove from the Instant Pot with tongs, place on a serving platter, drizzle with lemon juice and grate parmesan cheese over. Serve immediately.
Hint: Asparagus can be pricey, that's why you don't want to trim off too much when cutting off the woody ends of the asparagus spears. To find the perfect place to trim them, hold an asparagus spear at either end with your fingers and gently bend the asparagus. The asparagus will break at the thicker end, that point is where you can trim the rest of them.
You should add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot before steaming asparagus. This is the minimum amount of liquid required for the Instant Pot to come to pressure and cook the asparagus properly.
Either the trivet or steam basket can be used to cook asparagus in the Instant Pot. They elevate the asparagus over the water so they don't overcook. However, using a trivet is preferable because it allows for better circulation of steam around the asparagus.
Instant Pot asparagus pairs well with a variety of main dishes. It's a great side dish to serve with roasted chicken, grilled fish, or steak. You can also add it to a salad or pasta dish for a healthy and flavorful addition.
Yes, you can use frozen asparagus in the Instant Pot. However, you should increase the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
To prevent overcooking or undercooking the asparagus in the Instant Pot, you should use a trivet or steam basket. You should also adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the asparagus. Thinner asparagus cooks for 0-1 minutes in the Instant Pot, thicker asparagus will take longer to cook.
Here are some substitution suggestions based on what you have available in your pantry.
- Frozen Asparagus - You can use frozen asparagus instead of fresh asparagus spears, just increase the air frying time by 1 - 2 minutes.
- Oil - You can also use canola oil instead of olive or avocado oil for this recipe.
- Low-sodium - Reduce or omit the salt entirely to make this recipe low sodium friendly.
If you want to make this recipe again and again, here are some variations that can keep it fresh and exciting!
- Sesame Ginger Asparagus: Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, minced ginger, and a pinch of red pepper flakes in a bowl. Add the mixture to the Instant Pot along with the asparagus for a flavorful and Asian-inspired seasoning.
- Balsamic Glazed Asparagus: Mix balsamic vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard in a bowl. Drizzle the mixture over the cooked asparagus in the Instant Pot for a tangy and sweet glaze.
- Spicy Asparagus: Combine olive oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin in a bowl. Add the mixture to the Instant Pot along with the asparagus for a spicy and smoky seasoning.
This recipe has been developed and tested using a 6-quart (5.5 L) Instant Pot Duo. The Instant Pot is perfect for quickly making any starches and vegetable side dishes for meals.
You will also need a metal trivet or steam basket for steaming the asparagus.
If you have leftover asparagus, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the asparagus in the microwave or oven until heated through.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
👨🏻🍳 Top tips
- Don't overcook the asparagus. It should be cooked until tender but still slightly crunchy. Overcooked asparagus can become mushy and lose its flavor.
- You can also add other seasonings to the asparagus, such as garlic powder or lemon juice, for extra flavor.
- If you prefer a softer texture, you can increase the cooking time to 2-3 minutes
Instant Pot Asparagus
- Instant Pot
- Trivet or steam basket
- 1 lbs. Fresh asparagus spears
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Chilli flakes optional
- ½ tsp. Sea salt
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- To find the perfect place to trim them, hold an asparagus spear at either end with your fingers and gently bend the asparagus. The asparagus will break at the thicker end, that point is where you can trim the rest of them.
- Place the asparagus spears into a mixing bowl along with the oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well to coat the asparagus.
- Place the metal trivet (or steam basket if using) into the Instant Pot. Then add 1 cup of water.
- Layer the seasoned asparagus onto the trivet and drizzle any seasonings left in the mixing bowl over the top. Pressure cook for 0 - 1 minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus). Then quick release the pressure and open the Instant Pot.
- Remove from the Instant Pot with tongs, place on a serving platter, drizzle with lemon juice and grate parmesan cheese over. Serve immediately.