These air fryer chicken flautas are crispy, healthy, and taste amazing too! Ready in 25 minutes, they're the perfect lunch, dinner, or snack and can be frozen too!
Spicy chicken and cheese wrapped in a crunchy tortilla and served with creamy guacamole and sour cream is the perfect meal for the entire family! You can serve this easy air fryer recipe with so many great sides and toppings too!
These air fryer chicken flautas are ready in under 30 minutes and are a great way to use leftover chicken. Serve with a simple dipping sauce or go wild with the toppings, the choice is yours!
I love this recipe because:
- you can freeze and reheat flautas so easily, making lunch or snacks ready in minutes!
- these are a healthier take on the classic freezer flautas, full of homemade goodness and flavor.
- you can serve these flautas with so many things, making them a versatile meal for any day of the week!
If you want another deliciously spicy recipe that's ready in under 30 minutes, you must try my Spicy Vegetarian Shakshuka Recipe - a great spicy way to start your day!
You'll need a handful of ingredients to make this tasty lunch, snack, or dinner. You might even have some of them on hand already! I love making recipes that use pantry staples like this, then I can make them whenever I like.
You can also easily substitute a couple of these ingredients to suit what you have on hand.
To make these air fryer chicken flautas, you'll need:
- Cooked chicken
- Shredded cheese
- Taco seasoning
- Sour cream
- Snack tortillas (corn or flour)
- Olive oil
- Desired toppings
See the recipe card for precise quantities and instructions.
You'll only need 10 minutes to prep this recipe. For the rest of the 15 - 20 minutes, the flautas are cooking in the air fryer. It's a perfect hands-off lunch or dinner that's quick to make too!
Step 1: In a medium bowl, mix the shredded chicken, cheese, and taco seasoning until the cheese and chicken are coated with the seasoning.
Step 2: Add the sour cream and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more taco seasoning for extra spice or more sour cream to soothe the spiciness.
Step 3: Add 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken and cheese filling to the lower third of a snack tortilla. Roll up the tortilla tightly, pushing in any filling that may fall out.
Step 4: Brush some olive oil on the seam of the tortilla and close the taquito. Place the filled taquito seam side down in the air fryer and repeat until the tortillas and filling are finished.
Hint: Use your fingers or the back of a spoon to shape the filling on the tortilla just before rolling them up. Shape the filling into a long sausage shape, stretching to the edges of the tortilla, and then roll tightly.
The flautas will be a lot more uniform and hold their shape better by doing this.
Step 5: Once you have enough flautas in your air fryer without crowding the basket (make the flautas in two batches if needed), brush the flautas with olive oil. Then air fry at 380 °F (180 °C) for 8 minutes and then flip the flautas. Cook for another 8 - 10 minutes until the edges of the flautas are crisp.
Step 6: Serve the flautas with fresh guacamole, sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro and fresh pico de Gallo salsa if desired.
🌮 What to serve with flautas?
I love serving my flautas with a wide variety of toppings like:
- fresh Pico de Gallo salsa
- sour cream
- hot salsa
For a simple dipping sauce, mix together ½ cup of sour cream and ½ cup hot salsa and serve with the flautas.
As part of a larger meal, serve flautas with:
- Spanish rice
- Refried beans
- Grilled corn
- Simple green salad
⏰ How long do you air fry chicken flautas?
Air fry your chicken flautas at 380 °F (180 °C) for 8 minutes and then flip the flautas. Cook for another 8 - 10 minutes until the edges of the flautas are crisp.
Air frying cooking times vary and depend on several factors such as your location, altitude, and air fryer make and model, among others.
Here are some suggestions for substitutions based on what you have in your pantry:
- Gluten-free - use a gluten-free tortilla to make this recipe and it instantly becomes gluten-free friendly!
- Vegetarian/Vegan - you can easily make this recipe vegetarian or vegan with some simple protein substitutions. Substitute the chicken for an equal amount of cooked mushrooms, fried vegetables, cooked vegan chicken strips, or beans!
- Low-carb - use a low-carb or Keto tortilla and this recipe becomes low-carb and Keto-friendly! It's high in protein and, depending on the toppings you use, very low-carb too!
- What cheeses can I use? - you can use any cheddar cheese for this recipe. Gouda cheese also works well as well as Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack, or Mexican Cotija cheese.
Chicken and cheese are versatile ingredients that can be seasoned and flavored in many different ways! If you want to make this recipe your own or spice it up after making it a few times, here are some variation ideas!
- Want more cheese? - add an extra ½ cup of shredded cheese to the filling mixture for a cheesier taquito filling. You can also add a bit more sour cream if needed!
- Beef filling - you can substitute the chicken in this recipe for an equal amount of cooked ground beef or chopped leftover beef like steak.
- Kid-friendly - keep the taco seasoning on the lighter if you're making this for kids, gently introduce them to the spice and you can always add more spice if they like it!
This recipe is really versatile and forgiving so make it a few times, switching it up every time and give some variations a try!
This recipe has been developed and tested using a Cosori Max XL Large Cooker. It has a capacity of 5.8 quarts.
I love making quick lunch and dinner recipes in the air fryer - it uses so little oil and all the food comes out crispy and delicious every time! Cleaning up is a breeze, and I can stick it in the dishwasher!
If your air fryer is out of commission or to make this recipe in the oven, follow these steps:
- Heat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C) and grease a large baking dish or baking sheet.
- Place the flautas on the greased dish, seam side down, and bake for a total of 20 - 25 minutes. Flip them halfway through.
Store any leftover flautas in an airtight container in the refrigerator after they have cooled to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, heat in your oven at 350 °F (180 °C) for 10 minutes until warmed through, and serve with desired toppings.
❄️ Can I freeze these homemade chicken flautas?
You can also freeze these air fryer chicken flautas! To freeze them, allow the flautas to cool to room temperature and then place them in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the chicken taquitos after freezing them, allow them to thaw to room temperature. Then reheat them in the oven at 350 °F (180 °C) for 10 minutes until warmed through, and serve with desired toppings.
❗️ Top tip
Brush oil over the edges of the flautas just before air frying them. With no oil on the edges, they can brown a little too much or burn.
Brush with some olive or canola oil before air frying and brush again if needed while flipping the flautas halfway to prevent this. The flautas will also be more crunchy this way!
Air Fryer Chicken Flautas
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, shredded leftover chicken works perfectly here
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese white and yellow cheddar work well as well as Monterey Jack
- 4 Tsp. taco seasoning
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 12 snack tortillas (6 - 7 inches in diameter) corn or flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
Toppings and Sides to Serve
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro chopped
- fresh guacamole
- fresh pico de Gallo salsa
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 F for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, cheese and taco seasoning until the cheese and chicken are coated with the seasoning.1 ½ cups cooked chicken, shredded, 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, 4 Tsp. taco seasoning
- Add the sour cream and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more taco seasoning for extra spice or more sour cream to soothe the spiciness.¾ cup sour cream
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken and cheese filling to the lower third of a snack tortilla. Roll up the tortilla tightly, pushing in any filling that may fall out.12 snack tortillas (6 - 7 inches in diameter)
- Brush some olive oil on the seam of the tortilla and close the taquito. Place the filled taquito seam side down in the air fryer and repeat until the tortillas and filling are finished.2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Once you have enough taquitos in your air fryer without crowding the basket (make the taquitos in two batches if needed), brush the taquitos with olive oil. Then air fry at 380 F (180 C) for 8 minutes and then flip the taquitos. Cook for another 8 - 10 minutes until the edges of the taquitos are crisp.
- Serve the taquitos with fresh guacamole, sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro and fresh pico de Gallo salsa if desired.sour cream, fresh cilantro, fresh pico de Gallo salsa, fresh guacamole
This recipe was tested with these air fryers: